Wednesday, September 15, 2010

PU'U O HOKU RANCH, MOLOKAI

My first trip to Moloka'i happened this year, in September. One of the most remote islands of Hawaii, known for cattle ranches, forbidden mountains, and a small town called Kaunakakai. My friends and I stayed at a ranch named Pu'u o hoku, meaning hills of the stars. The night sky was magnificent, and too bad that my camera wasn't equipped to take it all in. Next time I go, I'll be bringing a little more appropriate equipment. What I could not visually capture with my Nikon Coolpix S10, I took it all into my heart. The way I had to twirl 360 to gaze the whole night sky, how almost touchable the stars and planets seemed, and the wide wide milky-way so clearly distinct in the deep indigo sky, were all simply breath taking. And that's just the night time. During the day, the weather shifted continuously, giving to experience the daily rain showers and bright sun, great breezes and changing cloud scapes and light. The experience of being surrounded by vastness of nature was so tremendeous that I naturally woke up each day around 4:30am, to witness the night turn to dawn and into bright day.

My favorite breakfast spot.


No comments: